INVESTING IN COMMUNITIES
· April 2014 - Following a successful grant from the Investing in Ideas, BIG Lottery - £9,000 - we have had a feasibility study done on the needs of Eyemouth.
The outcome of the study shows that Eyemouth would benefit from a Social Innovation Centre which would help regenerate and boost the town.
· This has led to the development of the Town Hall project – a Social Eco-Innovation Centre
The Social Eco- Innovation Centre proposal is to increase skills, opportunities and training for people, increase tourism, encourage innovation, encourage social enterprise, offer serviced office accommodation for new and developing businesses and develop Eyemouth as an economically sustainable town.
Progress to date:
· December 2014 - The outcome of the Feasibility study shows that Eyemouth would benefit from a Social Eco-Innovation Centre which would help regenerate and boost the town.
· December 2014 - Town Hall identified as the potential new site. SBC will transfer the Town Hall and Burgh Chambers Office to EDCT for a nominal sum of £1 if we can produce a viable, sustainable business plan to support its use – Community Asset Transfer
· We have held a number of open days over the last two years and gathered community comments, ideas and responses
· June 2015 – Submitted a Stage 1, BIG LOTTERY, Investing in Communities: Growing Community Assets
· July 2015 – Successful with Stage 1 - we have now received an invitation to apply for Development Grant of £50,000
· October 2015 –-Formed a sub-team from local volunteers with professional knowledge in architecture, project management of large projects, budgeting, finance and accounting.
· November 2015 – We started the recruitment for the Design Team by advertising in local papers (Berwickshire News, Advertiser and Southern Reporter) and on professional websites. With support from Scottish Borders Council, we developed the Invitation to Tender documents and sent to interested parties.
· December 2015 - Next step is to evaluate the tenders and interview Design Teams.